Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Try this at Heathrow

There are times when I feel sad that I don't live in a big city, mainly when I hear about an interesting activity that's going on elsewhere. Today a co-worker was telling me about Body Worlds 2 which she saw in Chicago on Friday. I was bummed because Andrew and I missed seeing Body Worlds 1 in Chicago in 2005 by one weekend. (We had miscalculated and it had left for Boston one weekend earlier.) How quickly the big city daydream fades though...

I drove out to the airport to pick up a shipment for work this evening. I left the house at 5:15 p.m. I arrived at the airport at 5:25 p.m. I pulled up to the entrance (yes, that is singular) and parked in the loading zone. (I assumed that was okay though because the airport was about to close.) I then walked about 10 steps into the airport and the woman at the terminal counter (again, singular) turned and said, "Hi, are you here for the birds?" I told her yes, I signed two forms and she handed me the shipping crates. A gentleman appeared and said, "Can I carry those to your car for you?" I again said yes, walked 10 steps out of the airport and the man loaded them into my car. I hopped into my car and headed to work. I should point out that the man was not a baggage handler looking for a tip, he was the pilot of the plane who wanted to help out. What's the best part of this story....I was home again before 6:00 p.m. Ahhh, small towns.

4 comments:

Ron Garner said...

This story almost sounds bizarre. Although our few experiences with Bristol Airport have been quite pleasant.

Anonymous said...

Didn't they scan the birds for IED's?

The Old Curmudgeon said...

I just want to say that I totally disagree with what you on this.

Abby said...

Haha! Yeah I get it, I like to think of myself as more agreeable then controversial.