This article was in a supplement magazine to the TH a couple weeks ago. Isn't it funny that I meant to post it days ago, but had lost it in random papers on my desk...
Seven reasons you should stop worrying and learn to love your mess
1. Studies show that messy desks are the vivid signatures of people with creative, limber minds (and of those who reap higher salaries than those with neat office landscapes).
2. Studies show that owners of messy closets are better parents.
3. Studies show that messy people are more able to improvise solutions to unorthodox problems.
4. Messy people are more realistic.
"It's chasing an illusion to think that any organization-be it a family unit or a corporation-can be completely rid of disorder on any consistent basis," said Jerrold Pollack, a neuropsychologist as Seacoast Mental Health Center in Portsmouth, N.H., whose work involves helping people tolerate the inherent disorder in their lives. "And if it could, should it be? Total organization is a futile attempt to deny and control the unpredictability of life."
5. And they are more life-affirming.
"Order can be profane and life-diminishing," says Rabbi Irwin Kula, author of "Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life," (Hyperion Books, $25). "It's a flippant remark, but if you've never had a messy kitchen, you've probably never had a home-cooked meal."
6. Mess has the dividend of adding time to your day.
7. Remember that it was the overall scumminess of Alexander Fleming's laboratory that led to his discovery of penicillin, from a moldy bloom in a petri dish he had forgotten on his desk.
From the TH supplement magazine Her.
Monday, March 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I say, hate your mess, so you don't end up doing what Abby did and spend hours on Sunday night looking for last years taxes (all the while getting mad and trashing the house even worse) Organize, yea, so you can just open a filing cabinet and grab the folder labeled "tax stuff" and avoid the turmoil, like I did. That leaves more tv time.
Abby, I am proud of you. You take after your father. Yes you are nimble minded and good at solving unorthodox problems. I have learned to love my messy desk and closet and car and various other household and work related areas (especially bookshelves). Andrew, although you opinion sounds quite wise and well thought out, I do remember that you also believed the Bears were going to win the Super Bowl. :)
Ha! I know this is about messiness, but I have a different comment to make. Andy, this Ron Garner cat has just been ruthless to you about the Bears. I think I like it! Not the part about the Bears losing, but the part where he keeps throwing punches, knowing that you cant do anything about it. He's going to have to cross the pond in a few months though, and we'll get our chance to defend our honor then!
-Chris
Thank you and I agree. Oh, and by the way, his team is from Ohio. Their name really isn't important because they didn't even make it to the Super Bowl. I think we will have to sabotage his hotel when he comes for the wedding.
Room sabotage. Great thinking. Maybe you could get Rex Grossman to come and help you. Just don't ask him to find my room, he has trouble with numbers. He can't tell the difference between 80 and 21. If you don't understand this, return if you will, to my 4th February blog at: http://ronbathandbeyond.blogspot.com/ Look at the photo above my spelling the acronym of the Chicago Bears. That should refresh your memory.
Post a Comment