Monday, August 21, 2006

One Month and One Day


So it's been one month and one day since Andrew's accident. I must say the last few weeks have been a huge blur. Andy & I want to give a big thank you to our friends and family for all the help and support that's been offered. We really appreciate everything. We met with his doctor in IA City today and here is the update...
1. Andrew must begin aggressive physical therapy 3 times a week here in DBQ. P.T. will consist of strenghthening, reconditioning, and gait training.
2. Andrew no longer needs to keep his leg wet wrapped. They want it open to help it dry out more and to allow some of the dead tissue to slough off naturally. He also can shower without wrapping his leg in a trash bag.
3. His pain medication has been switched from the Dilaudid (sp?) to a pain medicine specifically for nerve pain. He is currently experiencing a lot of shooting pain and twitching in his foot and this new medicine should help that.
4. Andrew had a cast of his foot made today for a leg brace he will wear in his shoe for an unknown amount of time. The doctor said since he can't pull his toes or his foot up there is a chance that he will drag the foot and need the brace to keep from tripping. Good news though, he can push his toes down some, so we should see improvements with the physical therapy.
5. We will go back to the doctor in 2 months so no work until at least then.

We stopped out at the job site today so Andy could say "Hi" to his co-workers and to drop off his new work release. They were really happy to see him and to hear how things have been going. I think they were surprised at the amount of weight he has lost and how pale he is right now, but overall glad to see him.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow - its been a month already??

Keep us posted - your already linked on our blog!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Kitchen looks great!
Sounds like an eventful trip to Iowa City. Good luck w/the PT, I'm glad to hear about that, when does it start? Will someone come to the house? I'll write more tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I know that for you 2 it must seem longer than a month. You have both been so strong and supportive of each other. Better days are coming! I am so glad that God brought you 2 together. Abby, thanks so much for taking such good care of my son. Andy,I know how very hard this has been on you and you have been so strong through everything. Even your hair removal!!! You are going to come out on top in all of this. This is finally that time when that famous stubborn streak of yours is going to be a major help in your recovery! Believe me, when you were little and that stubborn streak would appear I would just think there has to be a day where this will work positively for you. Well, that day has come and I know you will work so hard and do everything and more to get back to normal. Keep that stubborn streak alive, well and kicking!!! Between you, your stubborness and God this is all going to work out for the good!
I am so proud of you and the way you are handling all of this!