Monday, January 07, 2008

Age IS really just a number....

So, I had quite a surprise yesterday. With Andrew's birthday 5 days away I was running some numbers in my head. It seems like forever ago that his birthday cookie ready "Halfway to Fifty!" and I was thinking about some of the birthdays we have celebrated as a couple. When you are ten it seems like FOREVER for a year to pass when waiting for b-days, Christmas, summer vacation, etc. One year is 10% of your entire life. Jump ahead 20 years and one year becomes just over 3% of your entire life. I think that is why we say things like, "Wow, I can't believe it's 2008 already!" Months and years go by proportionately quicker with increasing age. When you're young people ask your age; I'm not sure when exactly that becomes an inappropriate question, but I have given my age lately (caucus, marriage license, Dr's office, etc.) and I realized I have been giving the incorrect age! I will be 27 this year and I have been telling people for quite some time that I am 27! What a waste of 26... I even programmed the digital scale in our bathroom (Height 5' 3", Age 27) months ago and just figured it out now. Hmm, this isn't that bad, I guess. Perhaps I am just satisfied with my age and not concerned with the number....or perhaps this is senility setting in...

2 comments:

Ron Garner said...

If you think it is bad when you are 26 wait until you are 56. . .oh, wait, make that 55.

Andrea said...

Abby -
I did the same thing at 28 - kept telling people I was 29....

Who knows why??