Saturday, April 21, 2007

Earth Day


In honor of Earth Day 2007 Andrew and I made the decision to retire our unsightly loose compost pile to a more efficient Earth Machine. Our area solid waste agency was selling the units for $25, I could pick it up at work, it really couldn't get much simpler. While Andrew was laying ceramic tile in the upstairs bathroom, Cash and I set to work in setting it up. It snapped together without tools and then it took me about 30 minutes to shovel our old pile over into the Earth Machine. Cash surveyed the new backyard intruder by circling around it and showing his teeth, I guess letting the machine know he's the boss. Then I told Cash, "Is he hungry? Should we give him some food?" Hungry and food are both words that the dog knows. I went inside and recovered two banana peels, an orange peel, three eggshells, some coffee grounds, paper towels and moldy bread. Well now Cash was really confused. He thought I had brought out this gourmet meal and was giving it to the new intruder. After it was all mixed together Cash showed his desperation by licking the vents for a taste of all the goodies the Earth Machine had received.

2 comments:

Ron Garner said...

Surely Cash wouldn't eat banana and orange peels, coffee grounds, egg shells and moldy bread? Or would he?

Abby said...

Cash ate the leftover taco pizza scraps that Andy and I had last night. It was mostly lettuce, crust, and hot sauce. I can hear his stomach growling. I'm guessing he'll be sick within an hour.